Sunday, December 9, 2007

Second of Advent


Abandonment


In detachment, the spirit finds quiet and repose for coveting nothing. Nothing wearies it by elation, and nothing oppresses it by dejection, because it stands in the center of its own humility. -St. John of the Cross

Believe me, the writing of pious books, the composing of the most sublime poetry; all that does not equal the smallest act of self-denial.
-St. Therese of Lisieux

Above all the grace and the gifts that Christ gives to his beloved is that of overcoming self.
-Saint Francis of Assisi

Thou must be emptied of that wherewith thou art full, that thou mayest be filled with that whereof thou art empty.
-Saint Augustine

Be gentle to all and stern with yourself.
-Saint Teresa of Avila

Thanks to Aunty Esther for the wreath! :-D
Quotes again, found here here and here.

I guess to repent and change our ways as Saint John said this morn, we have give up much.

2 comments:

A Bit of the Blarney said...

"Be gentle to all and stern with yourself."-Saint Teresa of Avila I particularly like this quote. People often tell me not to be so hard on myself. Well, now I have validation! If I don't do it who will? Thank you!! Have a grand day!!!

Cy said...

You're welcome, you too!
:-D