Monday, February 14, 2011

God's Dream (and Valentine)





God’s Dream

By Charles Peguy


The Lord God said:
I myself will dream a dream within you,
Good dreaming comes from me, you know.
My dreams seem impossible, not too practical
nor for the cautious man or woman;
a little risky sometimes, a trifle brash perhaps.
Some of my friends prefer to rest more comfortably
in sounder sleep with visionless eyes.
But from those who share my dreams I ask
a little patience,
a little humor,
some small courage,
and a listening heart –
I will do the rest.
Then they will risk and wonder at their daring;
run, and marvel at their speed;
build, and stand in awe at the beauty of their building.
You will meet me often as you work
in your companions who share the risk,
in your friends who believe in you enough
to lend their own dreams, their own hands,
their own hearts, to your building.
In the people who will stand in your doorway, stay awhile
And walk away knowing that hey too can find a dream.
There will be sin-filled days
And sometimes a little rain – a little variety
both come from me.
So come now, be content.
It is my dream you dream,
my house you build,
my caring you witness;
my love you share
And this is the heart of the matter.

Charles Peguy (1873 - 1914)


No comments: